Dealing With Being Bullied for Your Gothiness

Excuse me for not posting the past, what, four days? Homework and violin has gotten in the way of everything. :C

Bullies are mean. Obviously.

Whether it's verbal or physical, you've been or are going to be bullied because you're goth. It's like an acne cream that takes away all your acne, but may kill you in the process. A double edged blade.

My first point of advice would be to say something witty in return, if it's verbal. A rather cheesy, textbook type example:
"You're a dirty goth bleggh!"
"-some sort of witty response. Like I took a shower this morning or being goth has nothing to do with my personal hygiene.-" I don't know... I'm not exactly witty.

But if it's physical, for the love of Vulcans (get it, because Vulcans have no emotions...) tell someone as soon as possible. Punched/stoned/kicked while boarding a bus? Tell the driver. Or better yet, phone the police. Get a good look at them, call the police, they'll deal with it. If the police won't help you because you're goth, then the police in your area get their tongues stuck to icepops whenever they try to eat them.

Now, being bullied at school is a whole other story, I get bullied for multiple reasons and none of them involve my being goth. Most of them have to do with my sexuality, my support of gays, and the fact I'm vegan. But if someone really has a problem with you being goth, tell your teacher, for crying out loud. Tell the teachers, principal, anyone. As long as you aren't violating any rules at the moment (like the fact at my school, wearing hair over your eyes is a no-no for some moronic reason.), they are likely to deal with any verbal abuse. Physical abuse is something completely different. Tell the principal, and if they don't deal with it, contact the board of education and they'll deal with both the principal and the student. Really, I'm being serious. Look up the phone number for the board of education for your county/state/province/city/whatever. Tell your parents, as well. They'll help you if they already let you dress the way they do, but if you dress goth behind their backs, then don't give them a reason why they're bullying you. Simple.

The short version is stop the verbal abuse before it goes to physical, and tell anyone about any way someone has hurt you. Your parents, lover, teachers, principals, priest, doctor, whatever. If you don't tell anyone, then there will probably be no way to resolve it. If you don't tell anyone, then it'll get worse.

6 comments:

  1. A shame. I find no wrong or "weirdness" to the vegan lifestyle .. mostly because my mum is one, so I'm familiar with it. It is kind of funny to see people's utter lack of knowledge about it. "Vegan .. is that when you only eat chicken?" -_-

    I'm openly bisexual ("came out of the closet" in seventh grade) so that's what usually ends me the most negativity rather than Goth.

  2. My brother (who's a junior in high school) used to think that vegan was a type of fish. I don't know where that came from. XD

    People need to learn how to bully teddy bears. If they're mad, they can punch the bear, cuss at it, whatever. It'll solve everyone's problems!

    I think I'm on to something.... e__e

  3. kakuidori said...

    yep yep... get help and always remember that people calling you names or throw things at you or whatsoever have only one reason: they usually are not happy with themselves. i've had major depressions when i was about 13 and one of the big reasons was my classmates doing horrible things to me. had to fight for help, too but as every problem in life it helps you getting strong if you get through them and just stay yourself :-D

  4. Mari said...

    I was bullied for being 'the ugly chick'. I also bullied others, probably indirectly as part of being bullied. None of them had anything to do with being goth, but it probably influenced my taste in music.

    I wish I could go back and change what I did, but thats just not going to happen. You just have to learn from it. And, yes, dont pick of people even if it feels right/ well deserved. Cause its not. If you are hurting and want to hurt other people, seek help or talk to someone. Learn how to deal with problems in a constructive manner.

  5. Mari said...

    As Im sure this is where a lot of the bullying problem comes from

    -lack of ability to solve conflicts that eventually can escalate.

    - being bullied yourselves and therefore retaliate against other people by bullying others again. These are called bully victims and are bad at socially adapting to the group. So they bully and they get bullied

    - Thats not inherently true with a lot of bullies as they tend to be popular and well liked.

    -Prejudice, lack of empathy, bad influences by parents and the environment are oftentimes part of shaping bullying behaviour. I would guess that the same is true when it comes to the mental and emotional development in children.

    This is in no shape or form an excuse, and this is what you can do if you are being bullied at school or online or you just have a problem with people being a d'ck to you for whatever reason.

    - you can check up these global lists of helplines for children

  6. Mari said...

    Im pretty certain that schools can be sued if they dont take bullying seriously. And also, if its physical, you can contact the police

Post a Comment